Note: I recently got the Tim Holtz stamping platform from Tonic Studios and I found it perfect for this project. Building the frame with the swirly stamp was so easy. Simply stamped, turned the card 90 degrees and stamped again. However, it is not essential for this project. Using an acrylic block with grid markings will help you to align the stamp with the card edge when building the frame with the swirl stamp.
- Patchwork Butterfly stamp set
- 6 X 6 inch square card blank (black), white watercolour card
- Inkpads: Versamark and Versafine (Onyx Black)
- Heat embossing powder (Lindy’s Stamp Gang – Morning Glory Azure)
- Spectrum Noir sparkle brush pens (gold, teal)
- Spectrum Aqua watercolour pens (purple, teal)
- Stickles glitter glue (Icicle)
- Glossy Accents
- Make a vertical score line half way across the card front and fold back.
- Open the card out flat and stamp the swirls around the edges with Versamark ink to frame. Use a gridded acrylic block to help align the stamp with the card edges. Also stamp the verse and small butterfly. Heat emboss with the pearl blue powder. Colour the butterfly with sparkle pen and add glitter glue dots for added sparkle.
- Stamp the large butterfly onto white card with Versafine. Using watercolour pens directly onto the stamp, colour the lightly spritz with water and overstamp onto the black image. This will give a watercolour effect. Add more colour with the sparkle pens. Cut out and glue to the edge of the card fold back. To make it neater you could paint the back of the white card with black acrylic.
- Finish with more stickles and add some Glossy Accents to some areas of the butterfly detail.