Thursday 4 January 2018

Oriental Mixed Media Canvas with Teneriffe Lace and Powertex

I created this mixed media canvas using acrylic paints and various elements treated with transparent Powertex. Powertex is great for stiffening, gluing down and protecting porous substrates such as fabric, card or wood.

The lace elements were my first attempts at making Teneriffe Lace (yes the lace name has 2 f’s - as in the original spelling of the island) using the newly released looms and instructions from Gina-B Silkworks. I struggled a bit with getting my knotting secure at first (until I read the instructions properly – tee hee), plus my weaving and tensioning was pretty uneven too. My technique soon improved but I wasn’t sure what to do with these first experiments. They nearly went into the bin! However, I then thought of Powertex treatment. The lace would be stiffened and sealed so no worry about any of the knotting coming lose.




The variegated blue threads that I used inspired me to create something with an Oriental theme. Incorporating my ‘imperfect’ lace elements into a canvas was perfect.



I was really pleased with the results and my lace pieces ended up being showcased very nicely.

Materials:
  • Teneriffe Lace Complete Starter Kit (comes with Looms 1 and 3)
  • Total Trimmings Project Book – Teneriffe Lace (comes with a Heart Loom 11)
  • Strong thread (for the holding threads on loom) and pearl 8 embroidery thread (plain blue and variegated blue) for the lace work
  • Transparent Powertex
  • Card (approx. 230 gsm – white and blue)
  • 12 X 12 inch stretched canvas
  • Gesso (white), acrylic paint (blue) and Starlight Paint (gold metallic)
  • Alcohol marker and PVA pearls (blue) – to colour edges and add centres to flowers
  • Bamboo barbeque sticks
  • Thread wrapped button embellishment, bead and tassel
  • Dies to cut branches and blossoms (mixed brand and Spellbinders)
  • Mandala stencil
  • Rubber stamp (for background texture)
  • Plastic sheeting to protect table and to dry Powertex treated elements
  • 3D glue gel
How it was done:
  1. The butterfly was created on the outer ring of Loom 3. This was a result of a bit of play and trying out the technique. I didn’t use a specific pattern but added darned areas to get a stylised butterfly shape.
  2. The large circular motif was worked on the outer ring of Loom 1 following the design for the Teacup Pincushion Pattern included in the Total Trimmings Book.
  3. The 2 small circular designs were again worked on Loom 1 (small inner ring) using the Lace Button Designs included in the book.
  4. I treated the lace with the transparent Powertex and laid out to dry overnight on plastic sheeting (Powertex doesn’t stick to plastic). I snipped out the butterfly from my circular lace design. I also cut up some of my rough trial pieces to use as extra texture in the background.
  5. The canvas background was painted with white gesso to prime. Rubber stamps were used with acrylic paints to add a little background texture. I also sponged acrylic paint through a mandala stencil to complement the lace elements. Starlight paint (which contains crushed gilding flake) was used to blend in from around the edges.
  6. The branches and blossoms were die cut from card, shaped with an embossing tool, then painted with transparent Powertex. Likewise the fan was created using card and bamboo barbeque sticks. Again I treated this with Powertex.
  7. Flat elements were glued to the canvas with Transparent Powertex. More dimensional elements were stuck down with 3D glue gel.
  8. I also added a thread wrapped button embellishment and tassel. Gina has some wonderful instructional DVD’s and books which are fabulous if you would like to learn these techniques (Making Buttons DVD , Button Workshop Manual, Making Tassels DVD)

No comments: