Thursday 31 October 2019

Spooky Halloween Tassel


Good afternoon. I just had to share a Halloween make today. I hope that you like this creepy tassel that I made as a sample for Gina’s recent tassel making shows on Hochanda TV.

Materials:
  • Polystyrene egg
  • Orange mesh ribbon (approx. 1 inch wide)
  • Commercial embellished cord – orange felt flowers, pearls, beads, sequins, pumpkin shaped metal bells attached to orange raffia cord (from my stash)
  • Double knit wool (gold/ochre)
  • Black ribbon and commercial black cord scraps
  • Black die cut sentiment ‘Boo’ (Tattered Lace Die)
  • Bats and spiders cut on my Silhouette Cameo machine from black card (Silhouette Store: ‘Spider Web Lantern’ from Jennifer Rush and ‘Bats Flying’)
  • Gold and black flower shaped sequins
  • Strong cotton thread for tying (I used warping cotton but a button thread would work too)
  • Clear drying fabric glue or PVA
  • Sewing needle & thread, extra-long sewing needle (e.g. Shashiko or doll needle)
Recommended Tools and Tassel Tutorials:
Gina B Silkworks has a fab selection of tools and publications which will help you to make a range of tassel embellishments: from soft tassels suitable for clothing, to more complex tassels for soft furnishings. Here are a few items that I can recommend for tassel making.
How it was done:
  1. I first covered the egg by wrapping with the mesh ribbon. It was easiest to wrap in a top to bottom direction (i.e. turning the egg on a vertical axis as wrapping around). Secured with a couple of stitches and fabric glue.
  2. I next made the long wool tassel skirt and tied with strong thread. I used the extra long needle to secure it onto the egg. I passed the needle up through the egg to anchor, and out of the top to make a hanging loop. The join was covered with black cord to neaten.
  3. The neck of the tassel was then bound with strong cotton. I secured lengths of the embellished raffia cord into the binding. This was then covered with a black ribbon wrap and tied bow.
  4. Next I glued on the spooky embellishments and sequins. I attached the bats and spiders onto the cords by gluing 2 cut shapes together sandwiching the cord between the card shapes.
Happy Halloween x.



No comments: