Wednesday 2 May 2012

Yarn Wrapped Buttons

I had some spare time at the weekend to watch Gina-B's button making DVD's and these are my first attempts. The technique involves wrapping embroidery threads or yarns around a button or mould to create beautiful wrapped buttons. Some were following Ginas instructions while others I created by playing with threads and experimenting. Hope you like them.


I used some old plastic buttons which were rather nasty looking but which made nice flat moulds for covering with thread. Beeswax was used to coat the buttons and help the threads to grip while wrapping. I used a variety of threads, thin braids and even knitting yarn to wrap.

Getting the tension of the thread just right is quite tricky at first - it needs to be tight enough to grip and sit snugly against neighbouring thread but not so tight as to distort the wraps - otherwise you end up half way through wrapping and the threads end up jumping off.

 I was so pleased to get these results on my first attempt. Hope you like them.

No comments: