Wednesday 2 May 2012

Some of my Artwork including Textile Thread Paintings

I have always enjoyed painting and have always found it very therapeutic, painting in my spare time to relax. I particularly love watercolours and acrylics, being a bit too impatient to use oils successfully. I like to start a project and finish within a week! I never used to show any of my work to anyone except my very close friends. In 2000 a friend encouraged me to enter an exhibition at the Royal Free Hospital where we both worked. The work was exhibited in the main hospital corridor and reviewed by a panel of profesional artists. I was flabbergasted to be given 'highly commended' on three of my pieces and I actually sold three works. This gave me the confidence to take things further both with my Art and craft - jewellery making and textiles. I thought that some of you might like to see some of my Artwork.


Media: Watercolour

Media: Watercolour

Media: Watercolour

As you can see - my use of watercolour is somewhat bolder than is considered traditional - I like to use strong colour mixes. I love this medium as the colours are clean and pure and you can make them flow. I also love transparent inks and silk dyes for the same reason.

Media: Mixed - Printed fabrics, acrylic, texture medium and metalic pen.


Medium: Mixed - Collaged hand made papers and acrylic.

I love using mixed media and collage with acrylic paint. My styles range from realistic representations (well that is what I try to get - LOL) to quite abstract. Sometimes I work 'on scene' and other times I like to work from photographs I have taken. Other pieces are purely imagination.

Medium: Textile - Free machine embroidery with digitised elements, hand stitching and beadwork added.

Medium: Textile - Hand painted cotton background with free machine embroidery

Medium: Textile - Hand painted cotton background with free machine embroidery

Media: Textile - This was created by weaving painted strips of tyvek on a frame with strands of cotton threads. Heating distorted the tyvek creating water-like reflections.

Media: Textile - I chose one of my photgraphic images and played around with the colours before transfer printing onto fabric. The flower was then created by free machine embroidery on water soluble fabric - giving a decoupage effect when applied to the background image.

Medium: Textile - Hand painted cotton background with free machine embroidery

Medium: Textile - Hand painted cotton background with free machine embroidery

Media: Mixed - Acrylics and texture media were used to create this image. The waves were created by free machine embroidery on soluble fabric - then applied to the painting.

Medium: Textile - Hand painted cotton background with free machine embroidery

Media: Needle felting and free machine embroidery

Media: Needle felting and free machine embroidery and beadwork

I also love needle felting - it's great how you can incorporate materials that would otherwise not felt together.

Medium: Textile - Hand painted cotton background with free machine embroidery

I hope that you have enjoyed looking at some of these ;0)

No comments: